Wednesday, October 29, 2008

REMEMBER REMEMBER THE FIFTH OF NOVEMBER

For the first time in a while I walked out of my house feeling like everything was going to be ok. It wasn’t a gorgeous day out, I mean it still was November, but the air was crisp and I was given a dose of inspiration and comfort this morning thanks to a special early news report. “Barrack Obama has won the 2008 presidential election, making him the youngest man to ever hold office, as well as being the first African American to become president in United States history.” It was like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders, a weight that had been there for nearly 8 years. It’s difficult to explain but this man becoming the leader of an entire people put me at ease as I walked out of my apartment. When president bush gained office I was ten and knew really nothing about politics either domestic or foreign. From what my parents told me democrat was good and republican bad, and that’s all I knew.

As I got older I began to understand more about the government and drew my own conclusions from the way all Politician’s acted. My conclusion was that they all suck its just your responsibility to choose the ones who suck less. Both Obama and Mc Cain had negative traits, and as I was considering my vote I had to think about what would not only put my mind at ease but the nations concerns as well. We needed something completely different from the bush administration. Senator Obama provided change and growth for the country and that was something I wanted to be apart of. Now standing outside my house I felt a sense of accomplishment at having contributed to a process that took thousands of years and millions of lives to become freedom and a right for everyone in the United States.

            The aftermath of this election has been kind of surprising. Many people rejoicing and thankful to who ever that he has been elected. While at the same time all of his critics are shutting up because from the numbers he seems to have unified the country with his nearly 75 percent popular vote. Apparently my feelings of pride and relief are pretty common among the people in my neighbor hood. I keep hearing things like  “it’s a miracle” and “I’m anxious to see how things turn out” as I walk down the street. Over all though it isn’t a surprise to me that he won. He had the stronger ticket seeing how Mc Cain was coming from the unpopular party as well as not really being able to  relate to younger voters who seemed to be in force at this years election.

You know I couldn’t really hate bush for everything he’s had a hand in put this country through. Because their were many positive results to his 8 year reign. People realized that in order to prevent such bad things from happening they needed to become involved in there government. They responded and provided this country with change. All there is left to do is wait and see if the changes made will help or hurt this country. I got back from school and the talk there was mostly the same as it was on the street only with more force and energy. As I walked into the apartment I saw my father and my next-door neighbor standing at the television with their mouths open. I started “hey guys what’s up?” and my father struggling mutters there was an assassination attempt on Barrack. A chill ran up my spine at that moment. I moved to look at the television in shock.  Apparently he was fine, but a member of the secret service was seriously inured by a gunshot wound to the abdomen.            

I was disgusted. At the Individual, at like-minded people who were out there saying the assailant was trying to save this country. Most of all I was sick of the human race. I don’t know what would happen if the assassin had been successful, and honestly I don’t want to think about it. Are we that hateful that we attack a leader because of the color of his skin, or his name? I know that we can’t all be put under the same umbrella, but it’s at times like this, times of blindness, ignorance, and unadulterated hatred that I think to myself do we even deserve to be saved? If this is what we have to offer the world, should we even try? 

2 comments:

maria Garcia said...

I completly agreed with many things you said in your blog. Its true when you are thinking of who to vote for you are basically thinking about who is really trying to make positive changes. I believe that If obama won the United States will be on track.I think 8 years of Bush has been enough. We need a democrat in white house.

Sammy said...

I really agree with that last paragraph. This nation has really shown it's true colors when it comes to racism throughout this election. Though Obama is leading in the polls, the remarks made by McCain supporters have been inexcusable.